Quick Deer Facts
- White-tailed deer are the smallest of the N. American deer family
- A full grown white-tailed deer will weigh 110-300 lbs
- With long, powerful legs, deer can bound at 30mph and jump 9-foot fences
- Lifespan: 6-16 years
- Female deer give birth to 1-3 young at a time
- Deer use their tails to communicate with each other
- Diet: Herbivore
Is your nuisance animal a Deer?
Deer can be a year-long problem. In winter, when deer are most hungry, they browse whatever they can find. In the spring and summer, they’re a problem for tender crops and flowers. In fall, ripening apples tempt them. Deer have no front teeth but strip bark by raking their incisors upward, making two-inch gouges in trees. They also tear off foliage when they eat, leaving ragged edges.
Deer are smart and have good memories and highly developed senses, so the deer solutions used to keep this nuisance animal out of your yard should take full advantage of these traits. Fortunately, there are a number of deer problem solutions that are effective as well as humane.
havahart® deer solutions
Deer Problem Solutions — Repellents
Deer have a highly developed sense of smell, so make sure you use a repellent that smells awful to deer. Havahart’s Deer Off® has a dual-deterrent system that targets the deer’s sense of smell and taste. The liquid formula can be sprayed directly on plants – one bite and the spicy sensation from the capsaicin will make the deer not want to revisit your yard again. Deer Off® features a motorized sprayer that will eliminate hand fatigue for large applications.
If you’re having trouble with deer in one particular area of your lawn or garden, you can try placing chicken wire flat on the ground around your prized plants. Deer dislike getting their feet tangled and will often avoid stepping on the wire fencing. In rural areas, some people have noted that deer prefer not to go through brush piles (but then, you probably don’t want brush piles around your yard).
Deer Problem Solution — Motion Activated Sprinklers
Motion activated sprinklers or even motion activated floodlights, whistles and other noisemakers can also offer effective deer control. Havahart® Spray Away product’s use only water and noise to repel deer away, and can be placed anywhere in your yard – a less obtrusive solution to fencing. They work by using infrared sensors to detect the animal’s heat and movement, and spray a quick burst of water when the animal gets near the protected area.
Information About Deer Repellents — Using an Electronic Shock
There is also an electronic option to condition deer to stay off your property. The Havahart® Electronic Deer Repellent is made exclusively for deer. You stick the posts in your yard, and apply an acorn-scented lure to attract deer to the post (short-range), and away from your flower beds. Once the deer sniffs the post and comes into contact, the post delivers a harmless static shock to scare deer away.
Expert Deer Solution Tips
- Make sure you re-apply liquid repellents after heavy rain
- For electronic repellents and motion detector sprinklers, be sure to move the units around your yard after a period of time, so it conditions the deer to stay away from multiple areas you choose to protect
- While there aren’t completely deer proof plants, there are a number of plants that are deer resistant. Environmental conditions may force deer to eat plants they otherwise would not have an interest in
- Keep in mind you can condition deer to stay away, so get on a repellent schedule and make sure to stick to it
- Remember to rotate your conditioning devices to keep the deer on their toes
Use this information on deer repellents to rid your yard of these nuisance critters for good!